Home All Stories Chill connects video creators directly with PPV audience

Chill connects video creators directly with PPV audience


Chill, the video discovery site funded by William Morris Endeavor and KPCB among others, has launched its own pay-per view service, Chill Direct. The self-service platform enables creators to distribute premium video to computers, mobile devices and connected TVs anywhere in the world.

Using Chill Direct, which does not utilize any digital rights management (DRM) technology, creators retain rights to their intellectual property and 70 percent of any transaction. The remaining 30 percent goes to Chill.

The first program available via the new service is a comedy special by Maria Bamford that went live on Thursday. Maria Bamford: The special special special! costs $4.99.

Creators also can establish a “hub” page within Chill to further engage their audiences via social networking and to leverage other revenue streams. Bamford, for example, offers T-shirts and posters bundled with the video stream purchase at different price points.

Chill reports having more than 20 million unique users every month. Founded by Brian Norgard and Daniel Gould, Chill has received venture funding from William Morris Endeavor (WME), Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, 500 Startups, Redpoint Ventures, Crunchfund, Science Media, Troy Carter and Atlas Venture.

Chill co-founder Brian Norgard: “Chill is a critical step towards an ecosystem where artists are finally in control of their creative destiny. For filmmakers, comedians and musicians it will soon become essential to be able to distribute their best work directly to fans. We’re going to make it easy for anyone with a creative vision to distribute their work to millions of people. Amazing work should have no boundaries.”

Chi-Hua Chien, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers partner: “We see massive potential for Chill Direct to create new market opportunities for artists to directly distribute and premiere content straight to their fans. Chill Direct is poised to change the digital content market in ways artists never before thought possible.”

Related links:

Chill – http://chill.com

Chill – press release

TubeFilter – Maria Bamford Is Special On Chill’s New Pay-To-View Platform

Digital Trends – Chill offers DRM-free video-on-demand from content creators

Reuters – Taking a page from Louis C.K., Chill launches online store for films, comedy specials


Upcoming Chill Direct programs, as described by Chill:

  • MARIA BAMFORD: THE SPECIAL SPECIAL SPECIAL! – On-sale Nov. 29 (exclusively on Chill)
    Hour-long comedy special written by and starring comedian Maria Bamford and produced by Chill. Executive Producers: Maria Bamford, Bruce Smith, Marc Hustvedt, Brian Norgard and Jesse Albert.
  • PLEASE SUBSCRIBE – Pre-order Nov. 29; On-sale early 2013 (exclusively on Chill)
    Documentary film about following the lives of several top YouTube stars including Hannah Hart, Mitchell Davis, Grace Helbig, MysteryGuitarMan, Dan Brown, SeaNanners and more, directed by Dan Dobi.
  • THANK YOU FOR JUDGING – On-sale Nov. 29 (exclusively on Chill)
    Documentary feature film from actor-director Michael Urie (Ugly Betty, Partners) about the world of competitive high school forensic speech and debate.
  • THE NEW KIND – Pre-order the first episode Nov. 29; On-sale Dec. 7 (exclusively on Chill)
    Anime inspired sci-fi series set in our near future where a young couple’s psychic love holds the key to our evolutionary transformation. Over 200 artists from 29 different countries have collaborated to construct Writer/Director Peter Hyoguchi’s vision of this post-economic collapse world.
  • BATTLEFIELD OF THE MIND – Pre-order Nov. 29; On-sale early 2013 (exclusively on Chill)
    Documentary feature film about America’s homeless veterans and those suffering from PTSD. Directed and produced by Fran Strine. Co-produced by Aaron Lewis, front man of rock band Staind and narrated by legendary Megadeth bassist, David Ellefson.
    Original hour-long comedy special by comedian Ari Shaffir, produced by Chill
  • JULIEN & CLAIRE – On-sale Nov. 29 (exclusively on Chill)
    Narrative feature film about an American dancer who meets a French musician on the streets of Paris, directed by Adam Neustadter.
  • UNKNOWN SENDEROn-sale Nov. 29 (exclusively on Chill)
    Critically acclaimed suspense series from writer-producer Steven E. de Souza (48 Hours, Commando, Die Hard 1 & 2, Lara Croft: Tomb Raider), with all-new, never-before-seen episodes and exclusive behind-the-scenes videos.